Friday, July 1, 2011

A beginning...

This will, theoretically, be an online quilting journal.  Mostly I'm writing it for myself, tho i suppose since i refuse to sew labels on all of my quilts (or for that matter any of my quilts) this will be a potential source of information for my descendants should any of my quilts last that long.

Anyway, as an aside, i'm basically looking for a way to archive things online so I don't lose everything again.  I'm trying this out along with looking for a good App that might work as well.  The plus here, of course, is storing things in "the cloud".  I wonder how many other people have gone to cloud storage only in the wake of a hard drive disaster?  (I still can't really face reorganizing my pictures.  Ugh.)

So, here goes, a test entry which will feature my first quilt of any complexity.  I did simple whole block quilts for the kids beds which i'll try and capture later.  But this is entry is going to be about the quilt I made for the daughter of my heart.

Sarah's Purple Log Cabin Quilt  

Sarah, if you're out there...  Ohana still means Family!

Not bad for my first go at the whole log cabin thing.  Sarah loves, loves, loves the color purple.  

You can't really see it in this picture but each log cabin center is fussy cut over a small butterfly.  It really makes a girly and fun change from the traditional red center i almost always use now.  I hope she still has it and loves it. 

I did the back in a big piece of purple and black plaid flannel.  First, it was a little less expensive, second it was wide enough not to need seams, and most importantly it was fuzzy and huggable. 

There is a butterfly appliqued on the back with a special message just for her.  "Ohana means family.  And family means no one gets left behind, or forgotten."  From the Disney movie "Lilo & Stitch".   I was hoping this quilt would remind her that no matter where i am, no matter how long since the last time we were together, i still miss her and love her and think of her often.  

Now, let's see how this looks as a post, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment